Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Fish Out of Water

I went to a hockey game that saw the San Jose Sharks face off against the Los Angeles Kings. I'm not a fan of hockey nor have I ever been to a hockey game. I can't say that I'd ever go back because I have nothing invested in the league or any teams as local as the Sharks are. It's also a sport I've never played before in any way, shape or form.
The only reason I went was because my friend had an extra ticket he didn't know what to do with. He knew I never talked about hockey but didn't want it to go to waste so he asked me and the rest is history.
I figured at least I'd get to experience something I've never seen in person before. Maybe I'd go home wanting to see more of it and become a Sharks fan like some of my friends and family are. Boy was I wrong.
It was the most boring sporting event I've ever been to. Granted, I didn't know the rules, players or anything about the league really. But my experience did everything but convince me to want to become a fan of the sport and at the very least, return to see another game in person or even on television.
What did it for me was the environment of the arena. It was loud which I assumed it would be but I didn't think it was going to be that loud. My ears are still ringing. I also couldn't see the puck at all. I just waited until the other attendees jumped off their seats and clapped to know when a goal was scored. I guess they're all used to moving their eyes back and forth constantly for around three hours. I give them credit for staving of dizziness which I felt almost instantly.
I also noticed there were more Caucasians than any other ethnicity at the game. They all wore teal to represent the Sharks while I looked out of place with a red jacket on. I guess I didn't get the memo. That's what the whole night felt like; me not getting the memo. It was like the game was an elaborate inside joke that everyone was in on except me. Never before have I felt more like a fish out of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment